Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Jubilee Parade for Labor Day: Zinnias

Post 50


I love zinnias. They are tough yet easy-going; sweet and exuberant; individualist yet cooperative  determined and brilliant.  And they get the job done.


Even though I have time, money and land, I can only create a garden because Nature (or Nature's God) has created life-- my own and that of plants.




My job is choosing the plants that will thrive and create beauty. But it's the plants that make it happen. You could say they are dependent on me,-- but only if you add that I am dependent on them.


So Happy Labor Day to all the zinnias of this world. May they (we) be properly paid for our honest labor that keeps this world functioning.


It is our productivity that produces value,


A fair portion of which value we have a right to,


And a duty to use that value,


So that we ourselves help create a better, more functional, more sustainable, more beautiful world.


We are all sub-creators, whatever our position in life.


Even when we think we do not have the power,


Even when we seem done,


 Until we return from where we came, and truly learn what our imperfect efforts,

 What our imperfect love,

Has created.

Happy Labor Day

No comments: